Thursday, April 29, 2010

Headhunting vs. Recruiting - or Both

A Hiring Manager asked me the other day:  "What is the difference between a Headhunter and a Recruiter?"  To which I replied:  "We can call ourselves either one or both, but asking the difference between headhunting and recruiting as a business practice is probably more applicable to your question."  As a third party recruiter, my business model is to actually partner with clients - then I act as a Headhunter and Recruiter for them.  A true Headhunter conducts research through his or her own network/database/tools to identify the talent a client needs.  They seek out the best of the best and then vet the candidates from a skill set, experience, knowledge and personality standpoint.  Seek and find.  Once we find them, the recruiting begins.  The majority of the candidates with whom I work are passive, so the next step is to "sell" the client and opportunity (if it truly is a potential fit) and help candidates understand why this may be a great career step - and life step.  And then, hopefully, the full-cycle process comes full circle and we've connected an individual with an organization that bring one another value and exceed others' expectations.  It's really like hunting and gathering - we just don't go in for the kill!

1 comment:

  1. What opportunities does a person have when changing career path to Supply chain management? I have found it a bit difficult to change without companies looking at the experience I already have. I have been in the oil and gas industry for 19 years as an Information management lead with a bachelors in Business management and now I am within five months of obtaining a bachelors in Supply Chain and Operations Management. One of you past post mention Linkedin, I just got connected 2 days ago, and it is amazing how many people I have been able to get connected with within the industry.

    ReplyDelete